I Love Taking Pictures

Okay let me rephrase that... I like taking pictures. I love capturing a moment, an emotion, the real person, telling the story of a moment in time for everyone to see. I love the look on my client's face when we've finished a shoot that has been more fun than work, the glow they get from having such a good time and the anticipation that dances in their eyes as they wonder if I captured what they want to be. And the look of utter delight when they realize that I did indeed capture their spirit and they look more amazing then they ever imagined. Yes, I like taking pictures. But I love being part of the beauty and love that is life and capturing it for all the world to see.

Elise

Visit my websites at www.eliseschreiner.com.

Friday, October 3, 2008

So Close and Yet So Far Away

And more than a little bit sad......
Although I enjoy and respect the work of many photographers I love the work of Millie Holloman. I have been block stalking her for as long as I can remember. So imagine my excitement when I discovered that Millie and three other equally talented (and now equally loved) photographers had teamed up to host a workshop to help photographers like me not only take their photography skills to the next level but their business skills as well. AND if that wasn't enough... these kind and saintly women help the workshop attendees find balance in their lives with the juggling of work, friends, community and family.
Last year's workshop was on Bald Head Island in North Carolina which isn't too far from Florida... I could probably hitch hike there in a couple of days.... three at most. So I waited and waited for the announcement of this year's workshop. When it came it was a doozy. It was across the country in San Diego. And it was out of reach.
The dark cloud of disappointment hung over my head for what seemed like an eternity. My husband and friends tried to cheer me up but to no avail. Nothing worked. Nothing, that is, until I saw that the saintly women of Love Affair were going to award a scholarship to the most creative submission. So I racked my brain... I beat it against the wall... and I tried to come up with a creative submission that would scream "pick me, pick me" too loudly to be ignored.
And I came up with nothing... nadda... zip. I had a creative block the size of Mount Rushmore. My husband didn't understand my disapointment... he could have cared less. Or so I thought.
Imagine my surprise when I logged on to the Love Affair site and saw this:
(copied from LoveAffairWorkshop.com)

SCHOLARSHIP RUNNERS UP...

Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 by Millie

I blogged yesterday about how we got sooooo many amazing entires and how hard it was to decide! We really wanted ALOT of people to be able to come but as you know that would not have been possible!

Here are four that we really LOVED and although they are not the final winning selection, they very well could have been! These people went the extra mile with creativity and something about their submission shined!

We wanted to be able to give something to those of you who won runner up because we know you put lots of fun energy and effort into your submission. So... we are offering these four runner ups $500 off the November 2008 San Diego Workshop. Just give us a call or go onto the blog to register to claim your discount by this Friday! (This offer is only available while there is still space available so hurry up and register to secure your spot).

SO DRUMROLL PLEASE.... here they are!


This video was sent in by "Shriner" who went on air to talk about the scholarship and submit an entry for his wife. How sweet is he?!





I have to agree... how sweet is he?!?!?!?!?!!?! I was in shock and awe of what he had done. And that he had been able to keep it a secret from me. I can usually tell when he is up to something but not this time. I had no idea.
Unfortunately the generous discount that comes with being runner up isn't enough to get me there. I've spent the last couple of days frantically trying to figure out how to make it work financially. Maybe if I didn't eat for the next 567 days and we learned to live without electricity we could afford it. Or if I sold my husbands car - sorry honey, but I really need mine and you do have a really nice bike. I even thought about selling one of the kids - they're both cute. But an attorney friend of mine said the law kind of frowns on selling your kids or your organs for a profit.
So the Love Affair Workshop will have to wait. Unless someone wants to donate $3,000 to a very worthy cause.

Elise Schreiner is a wedding and portrait photographer in Tampa Bay Florida and is available for travel anywhere in the world! Visit me at Elise Schreiner Photography for more details!
Capture Love~Capture Laughter~Capture Life

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can totally sympathize with you Elise! I was frantically trying to raise the funds as well. Best of luck to you and congrats on being a runner up!

P.S.That was so sweet of your husband!